Fair State Brewing Cooperative is seeking a full-time (30-40 hours a week) production brewer/cellarperson to join
our brewing staff in St. Paul, MN. We are growing quickly and need to add staff to help meet demand.
A little about us: Fair State is one of a very few cooperatively-owned breweries in the US. We began operations at
our brewery/taproom in August of 2014. We were fortunate enough to be named one of RateBeer’s 10 best new
brewers in the world for 2015, and recently expanded into a 40,000 sq. ft. production brewery in St. Paul, MN. We
focus on traditional German-style beers (especially lager beer), sour beer (ranging from kettle sours to 100%
barrel-fermented mixed culture beers), and hoppy beers. We are positioned to grow substantially over the next
few years, and as such this position may continue to grow and evolve with the brewery.
Currently we operate a 7.5bbl brewhouse at the taproom location, and a 4-vessel 30 barrel brewhouse at the St.
Paul location, where we also package our beer in cans and bottles.
A little about you: we’re looking for a dedicated, hardworking, and knowledgeable person to help us stay on track.
The ideal candidate would have some experience in the industry, be willing to learn, and feel comfortable with all
aspects of the brewing process.
At present, our brewery staff is very small, and as such you’ll be tasked with doing pretty much everything,
including but not limited to:
▪ Wort production
▪ CIP/Sanitation of FVs, BTs, and the brewhouse
▪ Cellar work including transfers, dry-hopping, centrifuging, and carbonating beer
▪ Yeast management (harvesting, pitching, etc.)
▪ Cleaning kegs and kegging finished beer
▪ Packaging beer (bottles and cans)
▪ Raw and finished materials inventory
▪ Dealing with barrels (wine and spirit): filling, transferring, blending, cleaning, and maintenance
▪ Interfacing with brewery management software, and extensive record-keeping
▪ Contributing to a safe working environment by following safety procedures
▪ Representing Fair State at events, as necessary
▪ All the squeegee and mop work that you can handle
Requirements / Qualifications
▪ Industry experience working in a production brewery or brewpub
▪ In-depth knowledge of the brewing process
▪ Willingness to work hard, often at odd hours
▪ Ridiculous dedication to the aforementioned mop and squeegee work
▪ Comfortable with limited supervision and able to make (informed) decisions independently
▪ Problem-solving and mechanical skills
▪ Experience with sour beer generally, and barrel-aged/mixed culture beers especially, is a plus
▪ Able to lift heavy objects (55 lbs.) repeatedly and safely
▪ Able to occasionally move heavy objects (160 lbs.)
▪ Able to safely work on ladders, elevated platforms, and
▪ Able to safely operate vehicles and material handling equipment (e.g., vans, trucks, hand trucks, scissor
▪ Experience with Orchestrated Beer a plus
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time hourly position. Compensation is dependent on experience and qualifications. We offer health
insurance, paid holidays, and paid time off to full-time employees.
Applications are due by June 16, interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, and we’re looking for someone to
start in July of this year. Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.